- What do I do first? Request a student information sheet and determine which service will provide what you need.
- How much does it cost? This depends on how much you need edited. Single assignments are $6.00 per page. A 20 page package (about a semester of writing at a high school level) is $100.00, saving you $20.00. If you are using one of IEW's writing DVD classes or theme-based books, I have packages available for each of those. Please contact me for specific information.
- Why do you call it editing and not grading? I prefer the word "editing" because I don't like grades. Especially when I am working with students online, I am not able to get to know them well enough to know how much effort each assignment takes, where they have improved, or what their weeks have been like. In editing, I am simply showing them how to improve it. All writers, including NY Times best-selling authors, have at least one editor. I use a pass/improve system. Either it is fine and we can go on to the next assignment, or you need to meet these requirements before you can move on. I encourage all my students to make the changes I suggest, not just file the paper and go on to the next assignment. Only in this way will their writing improve.
- How do we send you the assignments? I prefer MS-Word attachments to e-mail messages, but I can also accept documents in e-mail messages, html attachments, and works documents. I can also do documents that are sent via postal mail, but I require a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to return the assignment to you.
- How do you add your comments? For most assignments, I place my comments in footnotes on each page. On some, I will turn on the track changes feature and make the changes, especially when it is something that I can show better than explain, or the paper needs drastic changes. Sometimes I will even re-write a section of the paper to show the student how the changes will make the writing better. Finally, sometimes I will use Word's comment feature if that fits the situation best. I rely on you, the parent or student, to tell me when my method is effective or when I need to switch to something that makes it easier for you.
- Will you assign a grade? I'd really rather not, for the reasons mentioned above. I will however, use a rubric or checklist that you provide to show a percentage completed if you need a grade for a transcript.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Paper Editing: So How Does It Work?
FAQs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment